Monday, January 30, 2023

Blogs, blogs, and more blogs....

Feed Readers: Thank Goodness for Feedly!  First, I tried Good News, and I couldn’t figure my way around it. I wasted way too much precious time trying to make that one work for me. Feedly was so much more user-friendly!  I could figure out how to use it and set it up to my advantage, easily and quickly. I have already created two folders, one for librarian blogs and another for educational technology. I am looking forward to using this tool.

Librarian Boss Blogs:

https://www.thedaringlibrarian.com

I love the title of this blog!  I aspire to be a bold and daring librarian!  From scrolling through this blog, I found posts about everything from Educational Technology to how to label (or not label) LGBTQIA+ books in your library. The blog is written by Gwyneth A. Jones, who has over 30 years of experience as a librarian. It seems she now works as a consultant, but I think I can learn a lot from this wise and daring lady!


https://trappedlibrarian.org/blog/

This blog is part of a bigger website run by Laura Trapp, an experienced elementary school librarian. She share some great ideas for book selection, which is an area of growth for me.  Not only to I want to be a good steward of the financial resources I am given, I also want to buy the absolute best resources for my kids.  She also regularly posts about advocacy and technology. One of my favorite posts so far was just a practical guide on creating meaningful library bulletin boards!


https://librarylearners.com/blog/

Cari White writes this blog, and she is an experienced school librarian who develops resources and trainings for librarians.  She has some great stuff on library centers! I think she is some kind of ‘library centers guru’ because she has even written a book about them. I want to operate centers in my library, but I have not been brave enough to try them yet!  I am hoping for some practical tips and inspiration. She also has ideas for some great, new library lessons. 


https://librarianinthemiddle.com/blog

I want to follow this blog because I work at an intermediate level, and this blog addresses middle school library issues. I have already read a great post about the disconnection students have between the OPAC and the shelves.  This is a frustrating issue with my students!  They can find something they like on Destiny Discover, but many of them can’t use the information provided to find the book on the shelf.  Also, I immediately liked her category tags listed on the side of her blog, like “Advocacy,” “Culture,” and “Research.” 


http://melissa.depperfamily.net/blog/

I want to spend some quality with with this blog, by Melissa Depper.  She has a lot of great posts and resources for story time!  Story time with my 1st graders and Kindergarten students is one of my very favorite parts of my job!  I see a lot of potential in that close-up time with my people, and I want to maximize my opportunities there.


And finally- Tumblr, not a dating app...oh my!

https://www.tumblr.com/thelivelylibrarian3


2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, I love Feedly too. It's a great RSS Feed! Thank you for posting the Librarian in the Middle blog. That's the level that I'm most familiar with, and it has some great information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I love Feedly as well. I like how everything is clean, concise and organized on blogs. I LOVE the daring librarian and follow her on IG as well.

    ReplyDelete

The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora by Pablo Cartaya

  -from Penguin Random House This was a great book!  It is Realistic Fiction, and perfect for middle grade readers. It is set in sunny Flori...