Wednesday, January 3, 2024

The Lost Year by Katherine Marsh

 


This is my first book review NOT for a class! :) I still want to share the great Middle Grade/YA books I am reading, but I am simplifying the review format. 

The Lost Year is a WONDERFUL book, but it is also heart-wrenching.  I chose to read this book over the Christmas break because I love Historical Fiction. Marsh sets this book during 2020, in the midst of Covid quarantine. Matthew is a young teen, stuck at home with his mom and his great grandmother. Only when he is grounded from his Nintendo Switch does Matthew begin to ask questions of his GG. These questions lead to the rest of the story, which takes place in the early 1930s. It is the story of three young teenage girls that are living three very different lives, one in the US and two in the Soviet Ukraine. 

The book is so well written, and I learned a lot about the devastating Holodomor. I am pretty sensitive to sadness and tragedy in books (and shows and movies and commercials...and maybe life.)  I cried while reading the book, but Marsh handles the tragedies of the period with discretion and care.

The recommended age range for this book is 10-14 yrs. There is some heaviness that I would not want a younger child to bear, but I think teenagers and adults would enjoy the book. 

It was a National Book Award Finalist in 2023, and it is rated 4.51⭐ on Goodreads.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora by Pablo Cartaya

  -from Penguin Random House This was a great book!  It is Realistic Fiction, and perfect for middle grade readers. It is set in sunny Flori...