Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Creating Comics- The good, the free, and the annoying!


Fotojet- I do not like this application. I do not think it is very user-friendly. For example, the properties window opens up over and over again, while you are trying to manipulate your comic.  It covers up the project that you are trying to work on. It was incredibly frustrating! I also disliked how the template moves, as you try to edit the elements. Again- so frustrating!  I had to give my credit card information to try it "for free" for 7 days. Overall, the options it provides to create a comic feel older and less relevant to younger people. There are many other products you can create on this website, and it may be more appropriate for those other things. 


Pixton- This website is by far my favorite!  It is user friendly.  It has tons of options for backgounds and characters.  You can personalize each character, down to their facial expressions. I think the style is youthful and would be the most attractive to my intermediate students. It is also organized specifically for education purposes. You can choose "content packs" based on a historical eras or events, or even books and plays.  The selections can be curated for a specific age/grade level also. I would  To download, print or share properly, you do have to pay for a subscription.  A personal account isn't too costly, but in order for our students to have access, it is $24.99 per month. 


MakeBeliefComix- This is the only comic-generating website of the three that is totally free.  This is a HUGE advantage to using it with our students! You can print, save or share the comic you create pretty easily.  However, it seems much more elementary than the other two.  It has pretty limited options for backgrounds and structure.  There are some fun choices for characters, but most of them seem silly and more appropriate for younger kids. Also, they are all pre-set in their pose, unlike Pixton, where you can move and mold their bodies and expressions. 

I want to make time to use these tools in my library job-- especially Pixton.  I think they are a great way to relay information to students, as well as add some fun to the library.  I tried to create comics that I can use right now at my school.  I am going to post them on our Schoology Library group.  I am looking forward to seeing how the students react to them. 

I could see it being beneficial to share these fun tools with the teachers, so they could use comics in their classes.  Because these tools are pretty easy to use, I could probably share the ideas and websites over email or our shared Google Drive. Of course, the concept would best be communicated by sharing some quality examples with them. I would probably need to be available for some personal tutorials, for staff members are not as adept or proficient at new online endeavors.  As always, leading by example with new tools is the best way to lead our colleagues. 

1 comment:

  1. Students have really taken to graphic novels over the past few years. Comic strips are such a great way to teach concepts in a fun and creative way. I used to print pictures of people and objects so my students can draw great cartoons. It's great to have a digital format that students can use to share their ideas.

    ReplyDelete

The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora by Pablo Cartaya

  -from Penguin Random House This was a great book!  It is Realistic Fiction, and perfect for middle grade readers. It is set in sunny Flori...